Power larger, room sized air conditioner needing 208-240 volts using a Quick 220® System. These air conditioners are capable of cooling in the range of 14,000 to 25,000 BTU’s and are designed to be plugged in by the user without the services of an electrician or special technician. The one obstacle many people encounter is “no 208/240 volt outlet.” The solution: Use the Quick 220® to get 208/240 volt from ordinary 110/120 volt outlets. Generally, the Quick 220® A220-15D or the Quick 220® A220-20D is the choice for air conditioners.
Before ordering, double check the following items to make sure you have the 110/120 volt outlets the Quick 220® System needs:
- 2 different 110/120 volt outlets controlled by 2 different circuit breakers.
- The circuit breakers need to be on different electrical phases.
- The circuit breaker ratings:
- Both circuit breakers must be marked “20” amperes if the air conditioner is rated between 12 and 16 amperes.
- One or both can be marked “15” amperes if the air conditioner is rated at less than 12 amperes.
- The outlets cannot be controlled by a GFI(GFCI) or an AFCI.
- (Please see “Electricity for the Non-electrical” for an explanation of the terms.)
If the air conditioner has a 6-15 plug, order the Quick 220® A220-15D or A220-20D. If the air conditioner has a 6-20 plug, order the Quick 220® A220-20D or one of the options of the A220-20D with extension cords to reach the 110/120 volt outlets.